Monday, October 04, 2010

Dance in the Dark

Ahh, I owe this blog an apology. As always. :(

Although, this time round I have a valid (maybe valid) excuse for being so late in posting.
University!

A couple of months ago, I had no idea what the rest of my year was going to be like. That uncertainty worried me. I'm one of those oddballs who prefers to know what to expect. Don't get me wrong though, I love surprises. Surprises when they're limited to Birthday Surprises and things like that. Not the-next-four-years-of-your-life type surprises. Those scare me. Another thing that scares me?

Change.

Honestly, I don't know what I feel about change. I've lived in the same city for my whole life. I've been in the same school since kindergarten. I've been in the same apartment building for ten years. I've never had to deal with change (which I usually believe to be a good thing haha).
Which explains why I was excited/nervous when I reached UVA (University of Virginia). I didn't know what to expect. New friends, a dorm, living alone, living in a town (with a duckpond) instead of a city .. essentially, university.

Fast forward to two months later - I'm so glad I entered university with a clean slate. With no ideas, no expectations and no ties. That allowed me to explore so much more, and I'm so happy with where I am right now. The strangest things happen when you least anticipate them. You make friends in a matter of minutes. You hold lengthy conversations with strangers. You feel like you can be yourself more than ever.

Of course I miss Dubai though. I miss my old life with my family and my friends and my house. December isn't too far away and I'm so psyched (yes, that's the word) to come back. But, I'm loving every bit of life right now too! I guess the only way to be happy wherever you are is to try and experience the place as much as possible. Even small towns can be as interesting as the biggest cities of the world.

I do lack the ability to update regularly (I've demonstrated that already) but I shall try oh so hard!


Song of the minute:


Uprising - Muse

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice post.About time:P

PS-You like Uprising?

Rayna said...

I'm glad you're enjoying university :) and YAYY you blogged =P

tkaapeace said...

Great optimism Shalaka (Yes I folow you)