Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day - My Future Spouse.

Just recently, when I was wikiing some random topic, one wikipedia page led to another and I ended up reading up on the Middle Ages. Turns out that Valentine's Day was a pretty fascinating event back then too. During the Middle Ages, most girls believed that the first man they would see on Valentine's Day would be their future spouse.

Another reason why those times were often called the Dark Ages? :)

Everyone, just stop for a second (guys included, just change it up a bit - first girl you see on Valentine's Day is your future spouse) and imagine this, um, peculiar belief actually applying to your life.
I tried to remember the first man I spotted today, and guess what?

I'm marrying Ramu, our houseboy. Just perfect.

[Though I'm definitely better off than a friend of mine who realized that by using that concept, her future spouse was her brother. Ugh.]

**

On a less disgusting (and pretty awesome) note though, a couple of my friends ended up getting an absolutely adorable Valentine's Day doughnut cake, which inspired me to do a little shout out to all the people I love. In the words of Michael Franti,







Since Nishant insisted that I use the word 'dally' somewhere in this post, I shall be as innovative as possible.
I must stop dallying during my study leave and use this time productively.

 
Song of the minute:

12 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my god!the cake and doughnuts!=)

actually im glad its not the dark ages anymore or the person i would marry would be my dad!EWWW!^INFINITY (both in caps btw =P)

Good post though=)

Nishant said...

Dally means to be enjoying something amorously. Which means you enjoy something amorously during your study leave. Interesting.

Shalaka said...

v. dal·lied, dal·ly·ing, dal·lies

1. To play amorously; flirt: "Sylvester dallied about Lena until he began to make mistakes in his work" (Willa Cather). See Synonyms at flirt.

2. To trifle; toy.

3. To waste time; dawdle.

Check our number 3 Nishaaant. =P

Nishant said...

-_- Different dictionaries. At least you kept to the unconventional part of it eh :P I haven't started my a/c paper =/

Unknown said...

According to the middle ages, my future spouse is Pranav(shalini's brother).
*sigh*

Well, looking at that and the fact that Ramu will be your future spouse, I'm not really gonna count on this theory =P Maybe we'll have better luck next year, huh? =)

To come to think of it...according to this theory, we'll have quite a number of potential future spouses =P

Yes, we have some pretty awesome friends :D And this day turned out better than I expected!

Loved the post. Love the song. Happy Valentine's Day =)

Vinay Nagaraj said...

My future spouse is Heidi Montag.

WOOT!! :) :) :)

Shalaka said...

Liar. :P

Anonymous said...

Happy V day :P:P
hey .. I mentioned the brother thing, dint I ? It is truly disgusting !:P
Technically the first thing I did today was see himym and I saw Barney .. so therefore he is my future spouse!! :)
Anyways i like the post!!
Love the doughnuts & cake.. (they look so pretty;p)

gtg sleep now!
XOXO
P.S ( DON'T BREATHE!)

Anonymous said...

If my friends were living in the dark ages their respective spouses would be:
1) Veda-Sathya
2) Shalaka-Vinay
3) Aparna-Alpha
4) Sameer-Mini

See it wouldn't be all that different :P

Shalaka pick a better topic to write on..stop copying off things from wikipedia

Commentator(aka Amudhan,Nirmal, whoever) Strikes again

Shalaka said...

Commentator aka SHOUMO,
go away. =)

Rayna said...

hey!
Haha... the first male i saw on the day was my temporary houseboy whose name by the way is also Ramu :P

:) Nice post :)

Anonymous said...

I strongly believe that you have a thing for "Ramu".. I think you mentioned the middle ages thing in an attempt to explain your feelings for him.

But then again, I'm just saying.

- Alien X

P.S. - Comment moderation is sad.