Friday, February 23, 2007

Why Not Recycle?


The picture shown above shows "The Recycling Loop". The collecters (which we can be part of) haul the recyclable items to the manufacturers, the manufacturers produce recycled goods and the consumers (another section we can be part of) purchase the recycled goods.

Most of you must be knowing the bookish definition of "Recycle", thanks to ever so interesting Environmental Science/Environmental Studies (a LOT of sarcasm intended). I apologize (really, I'm sorry!) for reminding everybody of EVS once again but I just had to write about this, being the environmentalist that i am:P!

"Recycling is the reprocessing of materials into new products."

More and more of today's products are being manufactured with total or partial recycled content. Common household items that contain recycled materials include newspapers and paper towels; aluminum, plastic, and glass soft drink containers; steel cans; and plastic laundry detergent bottles. Recycled materials also are used in innovative applications such as recovered glass in roadway asphalt (glassphalt) or recovered plastic in carpeting, park benches, and pedestrian bridges.

That was just to get you all into the EVS mood once again:)!

The point of this post is to inform people that recycling takes less than 5 minutes to do, and it helps us in the end. So why not? And it's not like you have to travel miles to the next recycling centre. We've got a recycling centre (more like recycling boxes) right in school. For people who haven't noticed YET, it's on the field - on the sandy part of the field. It takes less than a minute to put the previous day's newspaper's into your bag, and approximately four minutes for really REALLY slow walkers to reach the recycling box and walk back!!

Why throw used papers/newspapers/cans when they can be recycled to make brand new papers/newspapers/cans?

Why waste so much?

So i ask : Why not recycle?

Get over your laziness and please learn to recycle!

PS : As terrible and preachy this post may have seemed, I'm trying to get more and more people to join the recycling campaign and get atleast a little concerned about the environment.... Sorry if that annoys anyone, but that's my thing:D.

17 comments:

Nishant said...

Well, I don't know why I don't, but I'll certainly try to starting very soon :P; courtesy The Windshield. But what about the people outside school? They don't have easy access to recycling centres. Oh well. I guess that's what cars are for.

Oh wait! There ARE recycling things on the corner of EVERY street! Those small yellow-peach dustbins! Yes, yes. I shall recycle. Ms.EVS

Shalaka said...

You WILL, not you shall! I WILL make sure i annoy quite a few of my friends to such an extent that they WILL start to recycle:D!

Love,
Ms. EVS:P!

Unknown said...

Well, all I can say is...Rock on, Shaks!! ;) I agree with you! lol! Though I must admit I'm not a fan of ES, in our school, that is! Otherwise...I'm pretty much like you! Poor u, huh? =P

For whatever it's worth, Disha and I DO recycle, so...lol! ;)Keep up the spirit, 'Green Queen' (that's what I'm going to call you now, one of your soon-to-be many names) =P! Blog on!

Peace!

Kaylias...out!

Kapil.. said...

Talk about Waste accumalation!!!

Lol just kidding

You know everyone probably thinks of the same thing ..I do but then again i dont do m,uch about it

You should have providded an example of how youve made a diff about how uve recycled sumthin in da past week

That would influence ppl more...

Im glad that all that waste material from ur head is gone and a good post has come out of it

Mustve used Garbage incineration method if im not wrong

Hehe
You know im kiddin

Happy bday once again Ms.I have no faith in Kapil(Shalaka)

-KC(Bio tomm)

Kapil.. said...

Btw wen i meant waste accumalation i meant ur post (as a joke )

I dont actually want uto talk about Waste Accumalation

Just making it clear cos i cant stand anymore EVS

Menaka = .).... said...

hey shalu, a good post...sadly i'm not the first one to comment =.P

you know recycling can start from your own house, you needn't even go to the yellow-peach dustbins

re-use things which are not bio-degradable like plastic bags, bottles etc.

once they have been used fully, send them to recycling centres.

the paper which you send to school, also if you have some scraps of cloth, gets sent to this factory where they convert this paper/cloth ino new paper which is sold at various prices- that is anti-waste accumalation...

And also try to use jute bags instead of plastic ones whenever possible...

love mini- another environmentalist =.P

Anonymous said...

hey..
I am one of the ppl who commented 2day..without u tellin me..
B proud..
lol..
nyways..
Ms EVS!!LOL!
I shall recycle..
:S
I will..
Nice post..
If u annoy me..I will neva tok to u or even RECYCLE..
lol
..
P.S:Nishantt n his names 4 evry1..
-Trisha(3sha)

Shalaka said...

Heyloo!

Komal : Thank you! And I don't think anyone is a fan of ES in our school lol! Oh yes, ROCK ON Komal and Disha - you recycle!!
So I'm just going to add Green Queen to the never-ending list of my nicknames - By Mini, Kapil, Nishant, Rishika and now you! Lol!

Kapil : Ya, i should have lol. Oh well.. You can just see me tomorrow walking to the Recycling 'boxes' :P! Thank you:D! Ok - you call me Ms. I have no faith in Kapil - I left you a message on my birthday saying RESPOND in caps lock atleast 3 times. And, you didn't RESPOND! Tsk tsk.. Kapu bhaiya...! All i wanted to ask you was how your ballkid was going!! Thanks anyway lol!

Mini : Yes! I forgot to mention - try to avoid using plastic bags as much as possible! Convert to paper/jute!! Thank youuu Mini!!

:D!

Shalaka said...

Oh Trisha, I didn't see your comment!

Thank you!

And yes I am proud! lol! Good girl - Recycling!

:P!

Unknown said...

Thanks to ur post I give a shit bout recycling! :D

Anonymous said...

Hey shalu aka GREEN QUEEN !!

Sorry to comment so late :-( NICE POST !! I think i shall start making a desperste attempt to start RECYCLING STUFF !!

Even REUSING AND REDUCING IS PRETTY GOOD !!! I think i will do this ... its easier (wink wink)

Good post ... It was a little out of the NORMAL ... the whole environmental bit !!

Anyways BEST OF LUCK FOR YOUR EXAMS !! ( shalu you take more breaks than the amount you study !!... not saying its a BAD THING !!)

Radhii said...

Recyling is too hard. =P

Shalaka said...

Hello all my budding environmentalists:P!

Amrit : I'm very happy you give a 'shit' about recycling now:D!

Nikita : Thanks! A little out of the normal?! ME! Do you know me? - you know the whole Plant-A-Flower Day Campaign I initiated???!!!! You shall see on 11th/12th of March!
Hehe.. You see - when i study, I study I study continuously; when i take a break, I take a break continuously:P! YES - HAHAHA - Start recycling!

Radhi : :@! R-E-C-Y-C-L-E!!!!! Or you will get it from me in school:P!

- Ms. EVS, Green Queen.

Anonymous said...

hey ....so sry for not commenting for all your posts except one..... well now finally i read ur recent post and it is very true we should recycle and i do wen i am not lazy...tht means hardly ever.... i mite start soon... and u n annoy me i think no one can beat me at annoying ..u no wt im tokin abt >>:P neways to sum up the whole thing ..gr8 post lax
~bhavi~

Unknown said...

Hey Shaks,

here's another one to add to your evergrowing 'name-list'...Ms. E-S-quisite!=P Awesomeness!

Komal's daily dosage of 'lame':

Unlike her other friends, why did shalaka take two rounds around the park on her bike?

coz she likes to 'RE-cycle'!!

hahaha...lol! aah the lameness of it all! ;) nikita, my lame amigo, that's another one added to our list! =P Sweetness!

lol! yea...well, I'm up studying and highly jobless when I take a break between chapters...=P Take care!love ya! blog on! ;)

Peace!

Kaylias...out!

Shalaka said...

Hellooo!

BHAVI - I'm SO surprised you got up from your room, walked to the computer and typed your comment! :P:P:P:P!!! Thank you anyway!

Komal : Hehe! What would I do without your daily dosage of lame :P! Kornification - you've got competition!
Oh yes, best of luck once again! TC!

Byee!

Anonymous said...

wow u defeneatly Eco-Friendly lol!!!!
I appreciate wat u r doin and ill try 2 recycle meself!!

with best regards
StRaNgEr 92 KL