Saturday, March 10, 2007

One Of The Best Days Of My Life - DDRF 2007!







Truthfully, the day started out pretty badly. I woke up late (no surprise there), I couldn't get through to Sagari so i thought that she didn't know when to come over and she wouldn't come(:S) and SOME people were not on time (:P joking). When we finally did get started, everyone started singing in the car and after sometime my dad finally asked, "Does anybody want to watch a movie?" Then of course there were no DVD's except Dracula and Frankenstein(??????) in the car. SO they decided to watch Dracula. I was in the front so i couldn't watch anyway which suited me just fine since I was playing Sudoku on my mobile (lol). The movie got boring after sometime so we all started playing songs. When we FINALLY reached, parked and got out of the car, I got a major heart attack seeing the queue. Somehow, we cut into the queue (THANKS to the guys:D - we owe you bigtime). We finally got in and stood in the 'not-so-huge' crowd.

After a long time, they show began. Junkyard Groove - who rock, by the way - were up first! They were REALLY good and we got a photo with the bassist:D! The most hilarious part of the whole thing was the water and beer flying through the year. Apparently people find it really entertaining to throw completely full water bottles and beer cans through the air from one end to another. It was really entertaining until I got hit. Oh well, I was still having the best time. Then of course, the moshing began. We were ruthlessly being pushed from one end to the other. I held on tightly to the person next to me. I did not want to get trampled (as Nishant had warned me would happen:P). Through the moshing I was having an AWESOME time though. Also, I'm in love with the lead singer of Junkyard Groove. Not only is he really good, he's also a supporter of P.E.T.A! Could he get any better?

Lauren Harris was up next. We only saw half of them. I'm in love with them. That's all I have to say.

They announced a break (We will rock you:P) after each band. So in the break after Lauren Harris, Menaka, Vinay, Amrit, Aparna, Aishwi, Trisha, Sagari, Sunny, Muskan and I went to get food and water for everyone. After standing in the endless queue (to buy coupons) for centuries, we bought coupons worth Dhs. 120 as everything was ridiculously overpriced (Eg : Dhs. 10 for a single can of coke). We got some drinks and went back into the crowd just before Mastodon was about to perform. We were all dying of hunger and getting jostled around the place. Suddenly Vinay takes out this huge bag of chocolates (Thank you!) and we all hogged. We got fed up of waiting and thought we'd sit at the back and come back as soon as they started. Of course, they started as soon as we exited. So sadly we didn't have the greatest view of Mastodon. But they were awesome!

We missed 'In Flames' entirely. Though that doesn't really affect me since I haven't heard many of their songs. We missed In Flames because we went to get nachos and samosas (HAHAHA) instead for everyone. While waiting in queue (again), some random guy came and grabbed Vinay. Menaka, Apu and I got pretty freaked out. So Mini and I followed him and it turns out he just dropped Vinay off with everyone else. That was hilarious - we thought he was getting kidnapped (:o!)! How high were we? Then Vinay came back and started telling us about the guy. We got the food and sat and ate.

I'm not sure when exactly the following took place but I think it was after Lauren Harris. There was this Jumping Castle thingey which had a bouncy platform in the middle and 2 people had to fight with these soft fat sticks. Uhh... That was a pretty lousy explanation but I'm not sure how to put it. So Amrit and Vinay decided to try it. That has got to be one of the most hilarious moments of this year! I was laughing so hard, I couldn't breathe.

We went pretty early for Stone Sour and got a good place. I was in love with Stone Sour, I'm even more in love with Stone Sour and I will always be in love with Stone Sour. They're a unique band with the most amazing music. People started a very - ahem - interesting chant : "Stone ****ing Sour." They played their most famous songs like, 'Through the Glass' and 'Get Inside'. All of us were jumping up and down. After Stone Sour, we sat down a little towards the back of the stage area in a circle waiting for The Prodigy to begin. That was the time Abhinav decided to throw beer cans, random paper on the ground etc on my hair (already wet with a blend of water and beer). That was also the time Vinay, Sagari and Anusha broke 'the light' someone (I think, Amrit) had bought. Finally, The Prodigy began. They were really good in the beginning but they gradually got boring. So we left midway.

As usual we were sitting at the back resting ourselves against the blue and black tent. All of us were dead tired and were trying to preserve our remaining energy for Iron Maiden (:D:D:D). Ahh.. But that was not going to happen. Abhinav found half-full beer cans on the floor (The point of buying Dhs.15 beer is to actually drink it people, not leave it on the floor) and started pouring it down our hair. My hair smelled of beer, my jacket smelled of beer. I reeked of beer!! Amrit and Aparna decided to put some black nailpolish on at that point of time. Waiting for Iron Maiden was fun! The excitement level seemed to increase with each passing minute.

Finally,
Finally,
Finally.

IRON MAIDEN!!!

We were jumping up and down THROUGHOUT Iron Maiden, be it the beginning or the end. 'Fear of The Dark', 'The Trooper' (one of my favorites), 'These Colours Don't Run' etc etc were some on the songs they played. Iron Maiden was indescribably AMAZING! There performances were uniquely extraordinarily good! Luckily, we got to stay for the entire show. Iron Maiden faked themsleves leaving half an hour earlier. Also, we all thought that Vinay got lost in the middle. It turned out he was in front having a great time. *sigh*.

Also, Vinay had this fascination for pulling mine and Mini's hair. Trisha and him tied our hair together. Painful as that maybe - I hit him enough to make his head ache (hopefully).

The end had lovely fireworks. They were the perfect end to the perfect day. I got a DDR t-shirt to remind me of one of the best days of my life. It was truely unforgettable.

And I'm glad I went. Not just for the music too.

I wouldn't mind reliving it a MILLION times.


PS : The picture of the bassist and us isn't up because Radhii hasn't sent it to me yet.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I <3'd DDR!!
It jus rokd..!..
I had da best time eva..!..
Amazin!!:D:D:D
IRON MAIDEN ROKD!!
Thnk ur dad 4 lettin ME stay longer:D
Im keepin the band n the tiket..Memories..
Nyways i had an amazin time..!..
C u tom..


p.s:wat vinay n i did (hair thingee)was funny..
n i luk weird in tht 3rd pic:(
Remove it i suggest:D


I wanna go next year 2..!..i will...U guyz wont b able 2:D:D:D

i hope system of a down cumz!!

nd btw..im the 1st 1 to comment 4 da 1st time
-Trisha

Anonymous said...

oh n btw...rememba i was dyin 4 water..i gt juice 4rm vinay(thnx)u guyz gt it only later..lol haha...
-trisha

Menaka = .).... said...

Helooooo....twas amazin wasnt it? i enjoyed my ass off..

Iron maiden rullleeddd

so did stone sour

i was damn damn high tht day...maybe the flying bear entered my mouth or somtn...like u sed lol

rem tht drunk during iron maiden....Loll...o w8...they were all drunk...

Vinay looks like the statue of liberty in one of those pics...wid the light tht i bought nd he broke...

newayyy....wish we cud go next year...maybe the baords will be held some other date *wishes*

-neway u tc...gr8 post...memories shall live on...as long as we keep makin em...

-bibi

mini

*reshma* said...

hating all of u right now!! :@@@...*tear*...i missd it..i missd all of it...sometimes i dun think i can ever 4give my dad fer not allowing 2 go!!..hes such a party pooper!! crycry...wel atleast u guyz had fun, so i can happy abt that...wen im leaving 2 blore and some kickass band comes there 2 play live, im so runnin away from home!! i wanna swear so badlyyy!!! arrghhhh...but no, peace...sshhaannntttiii!!...k nyway its gr8 that u guyz had fun!!

Vinay Nagaraj said...

nice to see a post other than bunnies,sheep,etc...soz bout the hair pulling..i got drunk and bored which is dangerous (for you :P)...YOU MISSED INCUBUS!!!HAHAHAHAHA,THEY ROCKED !!!if they got to play more they would have been better than maiden!!!!THEY WERE SO AWSOME!!!!IM SO HAPPY I WENT AND U DIDNT...keep posting

Anonymous said...

hey
i agree with reshma....i really wanted to come but i had the whole transport problem.....though i didnt come i was really looking forward to seeing iron maiden and stone sour....anyways no point sulking over past(this goes to u too reshma)....but would hv been fun to see the hairy thingee as trisha describes it!!!!anyway glad you had fun!!!!
shruthi

Anonymous said...

lol..shruti..the hairy thingy?? That sounds like sick!!
Anyway..nice post shalaka..it was amazing but u should have come 2 see INCUBUS..HONESTLY..If Maiden were 10/10..INCUBUS were 9.95!!
TC

Radhii said...

Hey guys

Im in a mopey mood .. So I'm sorry if this is too mopeyish.
All I'm going to say is DESPITE being hit,kicked,stepped on,pushed,shoved, and any other violent action you can possibly think of .. DDR still rocked.

I officially like In Flames surprisingly. Oh and when Vinay came to the front during Maiden, I actually started to have fun because I backed up a bit and the strange shirtless guy who was in a trance was no longer appearing to have the intention of giving me a friggnnn black eye! And of course the guy who was protecting two girls that secretly just wanted to havea better view was no longer pushing any of us.
So actually.
It wasn't that bad at all .
I can't continue writing right now but I will later
Good account of the whole thing !!
GEE ! that comment wasnt that mopey after all ( even if it didnt make sense =P )

hellfire425 said...

IRON MAIDEN OWNEDD .... STONE SOUR OWNED .. COREY TAYLOR & JAMES rOOT FUCKING ROCK .. u didnt include mastadon .. MASTADON's BRANN DAILOR OWNED ....
i got more pictures & videos on my blog .. slayerrocks425.blogspot.com ( i am not using shalaka's blog to advertise.. for extra info go 2 my blog... PRODIGY SUCKED.... IN FLAMES OWNEEDd.... SWEDISH METAL !!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

P.S They were awesome.. DDR was awesome .... BUT THEY CAN NeVER BE AS GOOD AS
............ SLAYERRR & MEGADETH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLayer Rocks ..
Kerry King ...

Anonymous said...

DDRF was the best weekend of my life!!
NIce post..just a few comments..
1. For shalaka and all the other fools who think that maiden faked going off or actually went off..THAT WAS A FREAKIN BREAK!!!
2. Prodigy were AMAZING!
3. For Sunny..the drummer of stone sour(mr. porkupunk)and the bassist of lauren harris were FREAKIN AMAZING!!!
4. SLAYER SUCKS!!

Anonymous said...

Hey shalu !!

Im gonna K-I-L-L you tomorrow in school -- my name was not mentioned ???!!!! lol !!

I have to agree with you !! DDRF was just toooo amazing !! Not only the bands but the experience on whole !!! i Loved it and if it wasn't for you i WOULD NEVER HAVE GONE !!! thank you shalu !! ( muah)

A special Thanks to :-
1.mini
2.shalu
3.radhi
4.anusha
5.vihaan
6.Vinay ( who was engrossed in pulling people's hair ???!!!!)
7.Aparna
8.Aishwariya ( apu's cousin)
9.Abhinav
10.Amrit
11.Sunny
12.Sagari
13.Trisha
14.Nishant
15.Siddhesh
16.Sk

Shalu THANKS for Not mentioning the fact that we ( me and anusha and radhi and that drunk guy !!)
That was kindda fun !!!

-------- take care
NIKITA

Shalaka said...

Heylo!

Trisha, Mini, Reshma, Shruthi, Vinay, SK (Why don't both of you rub it in some more:P?!), Rayna : Thank you!

Radhii : Not mopey at all:P!

Sunny : Yes, everyone 'owned'! lol.

SK : Prodigy was very good in the beginning but then they got repetitive. Yes i agree with point 3. Oh and the Iron Maiden thing - we were just really confused:S!

Nikita : NIKITA! You didn't hang out with us for half of DDRF and that's when we had most of the fun lol! And yes, you are welcome:P. Thanks:D!

Nishant said...

You guys should've come for the music, anyway, every band kicked ass, and I swear I want to go back and be there again, smelling sweat and beer, inhaling cigarette smoke and water, getting crushed in the front, and just watching those geniuses play again. Man. It's over.

Radhii said...

Hell. I agree with Nishants comment. He put it really well.
[ Even though I was killed =P ]

hellfire425 said...

Yup.. it rocked...
Iron Maiden faked the going off to charge up the crowd & take a self popularity test thingy .. if u know what i mean ..
Slayer Rocks.. & will always rock...
The list in reality goes
1. Black Sabbath
2. Metallica
3. Megadeth
4. Slayer
5. Iron Maiden
6, Pantera
7 . slip knot
8. AC/Dc
Slayer will always rock.. just at #4 due to controversial music... other wise they would have a definite #1 or #2 spot..

*reshma* said...

gee thnx vinay..thats awfull sweet of u 2 say that!!! :@@@

Radhii said...

Aloo/Colored Idli ! OKay I still haven't uploaded the pctures.

I tried the whole wireless transfer thing but then I was half done and then =S . I seriously don't know. I've got like a zillion pictures on there now that I deleted the videos [besides Dig].
Give me some time and I'll send u the picturee..

BTW. I'm devestated to find that there isn't even one picture of me =P .. but then again it's my fault lol

Kapil.. said...

YOU missed day -2 , Im sure day-1 was really good but

INCUBUS

ROBERT PLANT

JUNKYARD GROOVE

THE BRAVERY

PRIME CIRCLE

hellfire425 said...

THe drummer of Stone sour was nothing.. he was good not anything great .... like Brann Dailor , Willie Adler & DAVE LOMBARDO .
Lol.. I guess SK liked the bassist of Lauren Harris cause he was gay ... u can figure it from his hair & face.. WAtch more movies
i'm glad i missed incubus.. the things i miss of DDR are :
BRANN DAILOR
JANICK GERS
COREY TAYLOR
JAMES ROOT
TROY SANDERS
BRUCE DICKINSON
DAVE MURRAY
JUNKYARD GROOVE !!!
& CIGGARETTES BEER MOSH PITS , Head banging.. & stuff
Incubus - NOT A FAN
SLAYERR RULZZZ
O ya & SK .. if Vihaan , Nishant , Kapil or Vinay liked Slayer .. i bet u would be shouting SLAYER ROCKS